Anyone can come to the United States and ask for asylum seeking protection because they have
suffered persecution or fear they will suffer persecution in their home country due to:

     Membership in a particular social group
     Political opinion

Persecution can take the form of threats, violence, torture, disproportionate punishment,
economic deprivation, or denial of basic human rights or freedoms.

You may apply for asylum at a land Port of Entry or at an International Airport upon arrival. If
you are already present in the United States, you can apply for asylum by filing Form I-589,
Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration
Services (USCIS) within one year of your arrival to the United States. USCIS does not charge
an application fee to apply for asylum.

You may include your spouse and children who are in the United States on your application at
the time you file or at any time until a final decision is made on your case. To include your child
on your application, the child must be under 21 and unmarried.

Under the current regulations governing asylum and employment authorization in the United
States, an individual who applies for asylum with the United States Citizen and Immigration
Services (USCIS) or with the immigration court is eligible to apply for an Employment
Authorization Document (EAD) starting 150 days after filing the asylum application, and the
asylum applicant may receive the EAD starting 180 days after filing the asylum application.